Every Month a Mission: March 1-31, 2021
Since 1991, Open Door Ministry at Fourth Avenue UMC has addressed issues of poverty and health. Their goal is to foster human thriving in Louisville! They offer warm, nutritious lunches and regularly scheduled dental and medical clinics. In 2019, they served nearly 50,000 lunches! While the pandemic has temporarily suspended their usual sit-down, hot meal, they continue to offer bag lunches for their guests five days per week.
During March 2021, St. Paul is collecting the following items for the Fourth Ave UMC Open Door Ministry:
Individually packaged items for to-go bags, especially:
• Peanut butter crackers
• Potato chips, nacho chips, or multi-packs of individual packaged chips
• Fruit servings like applesauce cups or peach cups, etc. We try to put a “real” fruit serving in our to-go bags and the cups don’t go bad like real fresh fruit
• Wrapped “bars,” like granola or chewy snack bars
Paper goods and other supplies
• We can always use the 4 oz size souffle type cups with the snap-on lid. These are a bit more expensive to purchase in bulk so several folks may want to share a bigger ticket item like this. We use them to portion-out peanut butter to go into the sack lunches.
• Dawn dish washing liquid (Dawn works best)
• Cans of pork and beans (preferably the very large #10 cans, but we’ll take any size)
• Regular sugar and brown sugar (bulk not individual packets)
• Cream soup for cooking (preferably cream of chicken or cream of celery). We cannot use any other kinds of soup right nowLarge jars of peanut butter, any style
• Large jars of salsa
• Sweet pickle relish for use in sandwich “salads” like tuna or chicken
• Barbeque sauce to go on cooked chicken or pork for BBQ sandwiches
• Hot dog buns
Drop-off options! Deadline: Wednesday, March 31
• DROP OFF items at St. Paul – Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:00am-1:00pm.
• CURBSIDE drop-off – March 28, 1:00-2:00pm – parking lot behind church.
• PICK-UP – To arrange pick-up, contact Sara at email@example.com.