by Cullen Hornaday
Director of Spiritual Formation
Last year we began the practice of offering everyone a Star Word on the first Sunday of January and again this year on Epiphany Sunday, January 7, everyone at St Paul will receive a new star word. (If you miss that Sunday you can pick up your star word at the Information Center. Also, feel free to pick up and share star words with family and friends who don’t attend St Paul.)
The idea of these Star Words is that they are a gift to us from God, something we receive without judgment, and then reflect on in the coming year. We trust that—somehow—God can use this particular word (regardless of whether we like it or would have chosen it for ourselves) to bless us.
Your Star Word could be…
- Something you need more (or less!) of in your life
- A spiritual practice to focus your energies on
- A quality within you or in a relationship with someone else, or an attribute of God that could use your attention or consideration
- Something that will bring you closer to God and bless you and those around you
- Something you need to wrestle with in the coming year to gain understanding and insight
Some ideas of how to get started with your Star Word:
- Pray! Ask God to show you how in the world this word speaks to your life right now. And if you think you already know, ask God to take you deeper in your understanding.
- Look the word up in the dictionary, in the Bible, on Google.
- Share your word with others and see what insights they have to offer. Some people posted pictures of their word on Facebook and started a conversation.
- Post it on your mirror, refrigerator, computer, wherever you can see it and keep the word in mind.
- Keep a running list of reflections on the word in a journal.
- Most importantly, trust yourself—and the word—to God! And see where it might take you.
- God gave the Wise Men a star for guidance.
How is your Star Word from God guiding you?
We hope you will respond in writing and share your comments by emailing Amy Lee Carpenter, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org for use of your story in future St. Paul publications.
Learn more about Star Words and how to submit your story.